Nainital Lake (Naini Lake)-
Cool Weather and Boating on your mind? Well, Nainital Lake is there to welcome you. Explore its breathtaking view and serenity. Naini Lake in Nainital is one of the famous attractions in this city. “Tal” is a Hindi word that means Lake, that’s why Nainital means Naini lake. Nainital lake is beautifully described by many prominent poets and writers in their poems and literature. This beautiful lake is surrounded by seven hills. Name of these seven hills are – Alma, Ayarpata, Deopata, Handi Bandi, Naina Peak, Laria Kanta, and Sher Ka Danda. One can’t skip boating in Naini Lake it is at the top of the wishlist of every tourist. A boating experience in Naini lake will rejuvenate your senses and touches the level of tranquility.
Why its name is Naini (Eye) Lake –
Naini is a Hindi word and its meaning is Eye. There is a famous Tale in Hindu mythology stating the reason why its name is Naini (Eye).
According to the tale, there was a king named Daksha and he had a daughter named Sati. Sati got married to Lord Shiva and this marriage was not acceptable for King Daksha. One day, when he organized a grand event called “Yajna” where he invited people from all around the corners but he did not invite Sati and Lord Shiva. Sati was a devoted wife and he could not bear this insult and she jumps into the sacrificial Yagna Fire.
Lord Shiva got angered by this happening and started performing “Tandava” – A dance of destruction. To save the earth from this destruction Lord Vishnu cuts the body of Sati into fifty one-pieces. All fifty-one pieces where the body parts of Sati fell become the Shakti Peeth. It was believed that the Eyes of Sati fell into this lake, therefore there is a temple dedicated to Naina Devi, and the name of the Lake is known as the Naini Lake.
Shapes /Structure of Nainital Lake –
There are different angles to see the shapes of Nainital Lake it is described as Mango shaped, Eye shaped, Kidney Shaped, and crescent-shaped.
Entry Fee- There is no entry fee in Naini Lake.
Boating Fee –
160 ₹ for a half-round of Row Boat
210 ₹ for the full round of Row Boat
210 ₹ for a Paddle Boat Per hour
Opening Hours – 6:00 AM to 6:PM
Boating in Nainital Lake –
A huge lake of 3 Km in perimeters and 1.5 Km in length is surrounded by mountains. The cool breeze, Calm weather make it a perfect place for boating. You can not book the boats online. All the bookings are booked via Nainital boat club. Most importantly, there are plenty of boats and you can simply visit the booking counter and book the tickets.
Types of Boat in Nainital Lake –
You can choose any one of the boats among Rowing Boats, Paddle Boats, Yachts, and motorboats.
Naini lake Boating Charges and time –
It takes Rs. 160 for a half-round of Row Boat, Rs. 210 for the full round of Row Boat, Rs. 210 for Paddle Boat Per hour, and for motorboat it would be a little higher. It will take 45 minutes to go around the lake.
Guide for Nainital Lake – All boat rowers are local people. They will tell you about the place and the routes, where you want to go.
Best time to Visit Naini Lake in Nainital –
Summer – March to June are the best season to see the lake’s flora in full bloom, therefore it is the perfect time for boating.
Winter – November to February are also the best season, for tourists who want to enjoy fresh snowfall and cold weather.
How to Reach Naini Lake Nainital –
Naini lake is in the center of town. It is very close, a walking distance of 1Km to the Malli Tal Bus station.
The nearest Railway Station is Kathgodam Railway Station at 35 Km and the Nearest Airport is Pantnagar Airport at 70 Km.
Hotels near Nainital lake –
- Hotel Himalaya – 10-15 m away from Nainital lake. The hotel is 3 stars in the property of Tallital, it is known for its good hospitality, good food, Indoor & Outdoor Games, and kid’s play area.
Full address – Near Bus stand, Nainital, Uttarakhand.
Price – 2350/- per night.
- Hotel Kay Kay’s – 10-20 m away from Naini Lake, the facilities of the hotel are Butler Services and free Wi-Fi rooms.
Full Address – Green VII Compound, The Mall Road, Nainital.
Price – 1833/- per night.
- Palace Hotel – Distance from the lake also 15-20 m from the lake, the best part about the hotel is their Safety and Hygiene, Bonfire, Vehicle rentals, and free Wi-Fi rooms.
Full Address – The Mall Nainital, Uttarakhand.
Price – 1410/- per night.
- Dinesh Guest House – 5 km away from the lake, the facilities are Caretaker, Housekeeping, and Room Service.
Full Address – Kaldughi Road near Uttarakhand Gramin Bank.
Price – 837/- per night
- Hotel Kurmanchal – 600m away from the lake, they know about the value of money, that’s why their rating on making my trip is 4/5.
Full Address – Laxmi Kuteer Compound, Birla Road, near JP Inn, Nainital, Uttarakhand.
Price – 900/- per night.
- Snow View Huts – 800 m away from the lake, child-friendliness, clean property, free parking, and boat ride.
Full Address- No.7, Tara Hall, Nainital, Uttarakhand.
Price – 940/- per night.
- Harsh Guest House – 400 m from Nainital lake, has the best room service and Power Backup.
Full Address – Bada Bazaar Road, Mallital, Nainital, Uttarakhand.
Price – 1120/- per night.
- Vansh Regency – ATM and free Wi-Fi available in this hotel, proper hygiene, safety, and good hospitality.
Full Address – Tallital Market, Nainital, Uttarakhand.
Price – 1990/- per night.
You can book a hotel from this website (makemytrip.com)
Must know before Boating-
- Do not forget to wear a Life jacket.
- Check the weather conditions, if it’s raining then it is better to postpone your trip.
- Do not forget to take your camera with you otherwise you will regret it later :p
If you are planning to stay in Nainital for 1 or 2 days, Check out the other places to visit in Nainital here.
Frequently asked questions about Nainital Lake-
- What is the length of Nainital lake?
- Where is Nainital lake?
Nainital lake is in Uttarakhand.
- What is the price of Boating in Nainital lake?
210 rupees for a full round, and 160 rupees for a half round.
- How far is the hotels from Nainital Lake?
The hotel is 10-20 meters- away from the lake.
- What is the best time to visit Lake?
In the winter season.
- Which Railway Station is close to Nainital lake?
Kathgodam Railway Station
- Which airport is near Nainital Lake?